Saturday 19 October 2019

BUTTER PATS

BUTTER PATS
We always called these wooden utensils "butter pats" although I note that they are not only still being made, but are generally known as "butter paddles."
I can remember these from my childhood and they were not new then so I am guessing they probably date from at least the 1950s.

For those who don't know what they are.......the idea is to more or less beat a small piece of butter flat between the wooden paddles and then roll it into a little corrugated curl to be served with toast etc.

When I was (very) little, my mother would keep me occupied with shaking a jar with cream in it until it solidified into butter, pouring the liquid out, adding a little salt, and then patting the resulting tiny piece of butter into shape - and activity which took about half an hour or so without the need of adult intervention. (School holidays??????)

(A bit of a note though, this was a very long time ago and cream nowadays doesn't come basically "as is" in glass bottles so I don't know if it will work with the modern stuff.......mind you it would still take about half an hour to experiment and find out!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment